Sunday, November 24, 2019

Uprading to SSD from HDD on mac book pro

Recently my mac book pro has become very slow and found out that my HDD(Hard Disk Drive) has become faulty and that's the reason it's very slow.

I went to apple store to fix it and it was little expensive over there like £230 and they can do only as is replacement for HDD with another HDD and they won't do HDD to SSD(Solid State Drive)

So I went over to third party apple repair shop and they were ready to upgrade my mac book pro with SSD but again it was little expensive like £280.   

So I decided , I would do it myself and fixed it successfully so I thought I would share what I did to do this so that it's helpful for anyone who's looking to do.

1.  Buy the right SSD for your machine. I recommend Cruical.com. Visit this site and it'll ask you to download an app and it'll tell you what are the SSD you can buy for your machine.

2. Buy a Laptop or computer repairing screw driver set. 

3. Remove the screws from lower case.

4. Remove the battery connection cable from the motherboard

5. Remove the battery using pull tab

6. Disconnect the HDD connecting cable

7. Take out the HDD and remove the retaining screws from the side of HDD

8. Attach the retaining screws to SSD 

9. Put the SSD in place of HDD

10.Attach the connecting cable on SSD then attach the battery cable with mother board

11.Put all the screws back

12. Start up your mac and press command + option + R 

13. This will bring internet recovery 

14. After recovery choose disk utility and erase the newly bought SSD with Format: APFS and Partition type: GUID

15. After erasing , choose internet recovery or restore time machine back up

Then follow the normal steps like entering the apple id to sign in once the recovery is over. That's all

No comments:

Post a Comment